Proper Dental Care
You’re always told to look after your teeth, but do you know how to properly look after your teeth? Here are some tips on keeping your mouth clean and smile worth showing!
Things to avoid:
- Tobacco – We all know that tobacco is a horrible thing. But, did you know that it can cause periodontitis (gum disease) and oral cancer? Not only that, but it stains your teeth, gives you constant bad breath. Yeah, don’t smoke.
- Coffee and alcohol – As with tobacco, coffee and alcohol stain your teeth and create bad breath. Corn syrup, food dyes and additives can destroy the integrity of your teeth. Dentistry can do a lot to repair the damage, but with dental hygiene, there’s a point of no return. Don’t get to that point.
- Chocolate, lollies and candy – A little bit is fine, maybe one or two a week. But, too much can seriously damage your teeth beyond repair. Sugary products can lead to holes in your teeth, the destruction of gums and bad stains.
Things to do:
- Brush your teeth – Now, this is one said constantly. Why? Because it’s the first thing you should do to care for your teeth. Use the toothbrush at a 45-degree angle and move in a circular motion to get the toothpaste all over your teeth and gums. Consider using a children’s toothbrush if you have dental issues or just want to get into those hard to reach areas.
- Use fluoride toothpaste – Fluoride toothpaste has been proven to take care of your teeth. Not only does it remove any dirt or bacteria, but it leaves a protective layer to keep your teeth healthy.
- Flossing – This is something that’s easily forgotten or avoided. Let’s get a little graphic for a moment to illustrate why you should floss your teeth. Do you eat meat? Yes? Then the meat is stuck between your teeth, rotting. Sorry for the image, but it’s true. Floss your teeth to avoid bad breath, gum disease and just to be clean in general.
- Drink calcium and take vitamins – Calcium, found in milk, can do work that dentistry can’t. It strengthens your bones, and your teeth are bones. Calcium in conjunction with vitamin D can aid in preventing the need for dentistry intervention!
Hopefully, the information above fills you in on why you’re taught certain things about dental hygiene. When something is so easy to prevent, go to the extra effort of doing so. It’s worth it to keep your smile white and bright.
Visit ormond beach dentist for more info.